Teaching and learning in A level PE – Tuesday 23 November | 1.30-4.30
Teaching and learning in A level PE
Tuesday 23 November 1.30-4.30
Outline: This interactive session will focus on how to implement evidence informed teaching and learning strategies to enhance outcomes. With research into cognitive science being more accessible than ever, the ability to practically apply these findings into our A level PE lessons is a must for all teachers looking to maximise their students’ performance.
With examples from all components, Session one will focus on strategies to promote active learning and how to hook and encode information into the long-term memory.
Session two’s focus will be on ‘how to remember anything forever’ – using spaced repetition. Spaced repetition flash card apps to combat the forgetting curve (Ebbinghaus 1885) will be explored and shared. This outstanding use of technology has the potential to really transform learning!
- Strategies to maximise active learning and engagement across all three components:
- Interactive note taking – brilliant for flipped learning tasks!
- Innovative memorisation strategies – to make tricky topics, sticky!
- Take away retrieval practice activities – to promote spacing and interleaving
- Co-operative learning strategies – to create a buzz in your classroom
- Spaced repetition – the game changer!
- Once information has been ‘learned’, how do we keep it there…. forever?
- How do we stop forgetting?
- Interrupting the forgetting curve using a spaced repetition flash card app
- Access to video tutorials and ready-made flash card decks for all three theory componentsTeaching and learning in A level PE
Tuesday 23 November
1.30 – 2.45 Session One
2.45 – 3.00 Stretch break /refresh / discussion
3.00 – 4.15 Session Two
4.15 – 4.30 Chat will remain open
- Wes Davis is Teaching and Learning Coordinator and Head of Sport at Worcester Sixth Form College. He is a highly experienced A level PE examiner with >15 years’ experience teaching all areas of the specification. He has a particular passion for the psychological component, revision strategies and the study of memory. In 2019, 22 of Wes’ 40 students achieved A*. He was recently shortlisted for the TES teacher of the year award.
Add a Review
Be the first to review “Teaching and learning in A level PE – Tuesday 23 November | 1.30-4.30”
You must be logged in to post a comment.
There are no reviews yet.